At MamaBabyBliss we are passionate about nurturing women throughout pregnancy and early motherhood. We are very proud to partner and support Dr Raja Gangopadhyay who has set up the NURTURE YOUR DREAM initiative to encourage better self-care during pregnancy and a holistic approach by healthcare professionals throughout pregnancy and beyond.
What does NURTURE & DREAM stand for?
Dr. Raja Gangopadhyay, a Consultant Obstetrician and the Founder of the International Forum of Wellbeing In Pregnancy (IFWIP), advocates the following four self-care measures to improve wellbeing during pregnancy (and beyond). Over the next few months, we will be sharing videos and articles in the following areas to help women put self-care into practice.
Dr. Gangopadhyay summarises the four pillars of self-care with the mnemonic: NURTURE
- Nutrition & Diet: To highlight the importance of good Nutrition (NU) during pregnancy and beyond.
- Rest: To take adequate Rest (R), unwinding, and sleep
- Exercise: To encourage pregnant women to Take Up (TU) safe regular physical exercise during pregnancy.
- Relaxation: To explore different deep Relaxation (RE) techniques as an effective stress management strategy.
How could a holistic care for emotional wellbeing be provided in every pregnancy?
We know that the emotional health and wellbeing are vital during every pregnancy regardless of prior or existing health conditions.
Dr. Raja Gangopadhyay advocates a comprehensive approach to care during pregnancy (by the healthcare professionals) and the postpartum period with the mnemonic: DREAM
A comprehensive approach to care for mental wellbeing in pregnancy
- Development of foetus and development of the child in early years
- Remember to listen to the mother and family
- Encourage self-care and encourage to seek help early
- Attachment (child and adult attachment) and awareness
- Mental wellbeing of the mother/parent/infant
To find out more about the Nurture & Dream Initiative please visit the IFWIP website. .